FACTS AND FIGURES
: 149,642 (as of Apr 2012)
Currently in training: Approximately 6,851 police in training per day with about 1,279 patrolmen having completed training and 1,844 Officer Graduates.
Afghan Police Trainers: 1,141
Target Strength: 157,000 (by October 2012)
Primary Afghan National Police (ANP) organizations include (as of March 12):
- Afghan Uniformed Police (AUP): 84,000
- Afghan Border Police (ABP): 22,200
- Afghan National Civil Order Police (ANCOP): 16,500; and
- Others: (Intel, MOI HQ, Anti-Crime/ CID, Counter Narcotics, Fire, Medical): 18,200
The International Community and the U.S. through the Law and Order Trust Fund for AFG (LOFTA) pay 97% of the salaries for the ANP with the remaining 3% paid by the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
As of 31 Jan 12, 23 contributing countries have contributed more than $2.4 Billion.
Law & Order Trust Fund for Afghanistan pays the police salaries. Twenty-three contributing countries have contributed over 2.2 Billion US dollars.
A patrolman (<1 to 3 years) base pay is $165 per month.
Women account for <1% of the total ANP force. As of Apr 2012, there were approximately 1,296 female members in the ANP.
The European Police Mission (EUPOL) maintains its current focus on conventional policing and higher-level police management and standards. NATO and EUPOL coordination is achieved through the International Police Coordination Board. Efforts are carried out in compliance with the Police Reform Plan – or Tashkil – set out by the Afghan Ministry of Interior.
While ANP capacity development continues to lag behind that of the ANA, overall ANP growth is on track to reach the target ceiling set for November 2012. Critical shortfalls remain, notably in providing advisory teams for Afghan Uniform Police, Afghan Gendarmerie Forces and Border Police units in key districts. Building the ANP also requires improving literacy, building leadership and reducing corruption.